Thomas B. Martin has extensive experience in administrative law, particularly unemployment insurance matters in Washington, D.C., and Maryland. Mr. Martin is focused on the needs of local and national businesses that operate in Washington, D.C., and suburban Maryland. Most business owners and managers know their sector or industry, but they may not know employment law, human resources, contract law, litigation and dispute resolution.
It’s in these areas Mr. Martin excels, bringing to our business clients a level of experience and skill essential to their success. Mr. Martin was voted a “Rising Star” among top attorneys by his peers for 2015 and 2016.
Mr. Martin regularly represents clients in administrative hearings and in District of Columbia and Maryland courts. He can help navigate your case or matter through the unique challenges of operating in the Washington, D.C. area. He understands the concerns and constraints of businesses, so his focus is on providing value. That value comes in the form of training, called preventative maintenance, and quality representation when and if we go to court.
Mr. Martin is committed to providing quality customer service. You don’t see the words “customer service” and “law firm” together as often as you should. Time is money and we are committed to returning phone calls, voice mails and emails promptly.
Mr. Martin is also director of the D.C. Chamber of Commerce’s Employer Advocacy Program, which provides free representation to employers in D.C. unemployment insurance hearings at the District of Columbia Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH). In addition to his administrative law experience, he focuses on business and employment litigation.
He lives in Washington, D.C., with his wife and two children.
Prior to starting his own law firm in 2009, Mr. Martin was an associate with Steptoe and Johnson’s litigation group. After leaving the firm, he joined the D.C. Chamber of Commerce, where he lobbied on behalf of local businesses. Prior to attending law school, he was part of The Coca-Cola Company’s governmental relations group.
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- J.D.: University of Colorado School of Law
- A.B.: Duke University
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- Named one of FindLaw’s Washington, D.C. “Rising Stars” in 2015 & 2016
- Reported Cases: Pyne v. Mb Staffing Services, LLC, 39 A.3d 1258 (D.C. 2012).
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- Quarterly seminars on D.C. Unemployment Insurance law – D.C. Chamber of Commerce, 2008 – Present
- D.C. Unemployment Insurance: 101
- Understanding the D.C. Unemployment Insurance System
- Managing the Multi-Generational Workforce
- Documenting Employee Conduct
- Terminations: 101
- The Scariest Six Letters: H-I-R-I-N-G
- Managing Up – Managing Down: Workers Under 30