Thorn Pozen advises private companies, private and public institutions and government entities on local government, government ethics, campaign finance, land-use, and administrative law issues. Mr. Pozen’s practice includes providing advice and counsel on how clients can best work with and for the District of Columbia government, and maneuver the many pitfalls and complications involved in doing so.
Mr. Pozen also advocates for clients before District of Columbia boards and tribunals, and regularly testifies before the Council of the District of Columbia. His clients range from Fortune 500 companies to government agencies to small businesses, nonprofit organizations and institutions.
He lives in Washington, D.C. with his wife and two children.
Prior to joining Goldblatt Martin Pozen LLP, Mr. Pozen was a partner in the Government Solutions Group in the Washington, D.C. office of Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP. Before Stinson, he served as Special Counsel for the District of Columbia government.
During his work in government, Mr. Pozen provided legal counsel to various Washington, D.C., government officials and served as chief ethics counselor and chief Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) officer for the District of Columbia. He advised on government legal issues, including government ethics, government structure and power, legislative and regulatory process, information sharing, public safety, campaign finance and Hatch Act coverage, real estate and land use, intellectual property, transportation, appropriations, technology, human resources, fundraising and on interaction with private organizations and with the federal government.
Prior to serving as Special Counsel, Mr. Pozen served as Chief of Staff and Counsel to a D.C. Council member, on the staff of the D.C. Financial Control Board. In private practice he has over 25 years of previous experience working with and for the District government.
- Washington, D.C.
- Maryland Court of Appeals
- J.D.: American University, Washington College of Law, magna cum laude
- B.A.: Connecticut College, Honors and Distinction in Major
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- District of Columbia Mayor’s Meritorious Public Service Award
- D.C. Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs Certificate of Appreciation
- Office of Attorney General for the District of Columbia Extra Mile Award
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, Board of Directors
- The District of Columbia Practice Manual – Co-Author of the Political Law chapter; published by the D.C. Bar
- D.C. Appleseed Center for Law and Justice, Board of Directors
- JCRC of Greater Washington, Board of Directors; Co-Chair D.C. Commission
- JDRF Greater Chesapeake Chapter, Board of Directors
- Council for Court Excellence, Board of Directors
- District of Columbia Bar, D.C. Affairs Section, Former Steering Committee Co-Chair
- “Government Ethics and Values”
- “District of Columbia Freedom of Information Act – From the Beginning”
- “District of Columbia Freedom of Information Act – Advanced Summary”